Monday, March 20, 2006

Growing & moving on....

This weekend we had a few "break through" moments with the kids.

On Saturday, Savannah really had a lot of questions for me about Andrew & Kourtney's past. I answered everything honestly & she cried in compassion for them. She knew why they were living here, but hearing some more about their lives up until now made her sad.....and gave her a more loving slant for them now.

Andrew & I talked on Saturday evening about his mom & dad. He got out his journal while we were talking & started drawing something. I left the room for him to go to bed with him still drawing. I went in later to turn off the lamp & found his journal on the bed beside him. He had drawn a car hitting a tree & titled it "Mom and dad crash". On another page, he had written something about how he & Kourtney were his mom's shining stars. :::sniff, sniff::: Progress in the grieving process.....sad, but oh so necessary.

Kourtney got a new bed this weekend! The little metal daybed we had when she got here was already wobbly & not too sturdy, so when it started coming apart in pieces, we decided it was time to get rid of it! She is soooo excited about her new wooden daybed. It's very pretty, too! I think that she is still a little stunned that we've bought new beds for both kids' rooms & have gotten her new clothes, etc.

I still wonder how much A&K "get" about their new home & family. I don't know how deeply they understand the permanence of this situation. Continue praying for their understanding in that.

At church last night, I noticed that Andrew was opening up a piece of paper he'd had in his pocket. It had a Bible verse written on it (his handwriting). It was a verse from Hebrews that says "He will never leave me". That about threw me into tears....whether he was instructed to write that down in SS class or if he wrote it down himself, he's writing it....and we all know that writing something helps to drive it into our brains! (& hopefully into our hearts!)

While seeing him with that paper, we were singing a song that seemed so incredibly significant. I love the song already, but in light of our new family situation, it was especially poignant at that moment. It is my prayer for all of my kids! Here are the lyrics to the chorus. God, help my babies all yearn for you!

yearn
by shane barnard

Chorus: Lord i want to yearn for You. i want to burn with passion over You and only You. Lord i want to yearn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sniff...  Oh Liz...I want to hug those children so badly...give a squeeze from me..  Having lost my mom at 9...I know what they are feeling...but yet they are so young it just doesn't make sense to them..

You are doing a great job...Will continue praying...