Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thurs 3/30

Yesterday was Samuel's 6th birthday. After cake for breakfast (our little birthday morning tradition around here) & then cupcakes at school w/ his class, I do believe Samuel was adequately sugared up! He had a good day! Hard to believe the little stinker is SIX!

Before going to bed last night, Kourtney announced to me that she wants to start calling me "mama". It stopped me in my tracks, because I never expected that, but I can't tell her she CAN'T call me that. I told her she was welcome to call me whatever she wanted to call me. She just giggled & said "MAMA!". I teasingly started calling her "daughter" instead of Kourtney & she thought that was really funny. This morning at breakfast, I wondered if the new name would stick. She woke up & one of the first things she said to me was "good morning mama". I just grinned & said "Good morning, daughter". Again, it brought out all sorts of silly giggles. I'm not sure if she really plans to stick with this or not b/c she always seems to giggle when she says it, as if she is just saying it as a joke.....and she's alternately called me mama & Aunt Liz all day, so who knows. I did ask her last night what she was going to call her mom now if I was to be "mama". She just giggled again & said she'd become "Aunt Liz". I said "no, silly.... I am Aunt Liz" & she said "No, you're mama". I guess I'll let it go & just see if it continues. While I want to feel like she's totally bonded & loves me, I don't want to take the place of Kelly.....but I'm not sure where that balance is. She did mention missing her today, so I know she's not forgetting her at all.....I guess she's just trying to work through what I am to her now & this is part of that transitional time. ???

No comments: