Wednesday, June 17, 2009

SUMMER DAY 19, Wed June 17

What a day....

At 7:45 this morning, I was rushing to get Samuel out the door to his basketball camp. Like I mentioned yesterday, I knew I'd have to walk him to the camp this morning. Our neighborhood is only 4 streets wide & the school where his camp is held is right next door to our neighborhood, so it's not a big deal to walk him over there. We left the house a couple minutes later than I'd hoped, but I still felt like there was plenty of time to get there. Now, here's where it gets tricky.

On the street that is closest to the school, there is an open area to walk through between our neighborhood & the school property. During the school year, teens walk to school through this route EVERY DAY. Larry has taken the kids for bike rides around the school property & has taken this route each time. However, when we reached the cut-through area this morning there was a chain link gate across it with a big "private property" sign on it! yikes! Realizing that we wouldn't be able to cut through that way like I had planned, I kinda panicked. We could walk all the way out to the highway & down the school's driveway but it would take more time than we had if I wanted to get him to the camp on time! By that time it was 7:55 & the camp was due to start in 5 minutes. Thankfully, my sweet girlfriend Kelly (who is a teacher at my school) lives in our neighborhood. I called her & she came to the rescue! THANK YOU KELLY! She picked us up, drove us over to the school & brought us back home in less time than it would've taken us to walk over there & back. I'm so glad she was willing!!

Not long after we got home, my mom arrived with a bag of peaches for us (from their garden). I told her of our dilemma. She called me a few minutes later from her hair dresser's shop (in my neighborhood). The lady who was cutting her hair told her of a way through the fence that I had not seen. She drove over & looked at it when she left the haircut place & sure enough....the other cut-through place was there. And it had been there when we called Kelly to rescue us this morning, we just didn't see it! Argh! I was grateful that it was there, but embarassed that I'd totally missed it the first time & had to bother a friend to come get me when I could've gotten through after all! Oh well........

During the time that Samuel was at camp, I checked my email & played a DVD interactive Hannah Montana game with the girls. All too quickly 10:30 arrived & it was time to head back over to the school to pick up Samuel. I got there with about 10 minutes to spare so I got to watch him play in a shirts vs skins game. Can you guess which team my silly boy volunteered to be on? (Hint: it wasn't the shirts team!)

We walked back home afterward & had lunch & quiet reading time and then it was time to rest. I was sooo sleepy. I'm not sure why. I got enough sleep last night, but hey, it's summertime & there was a chance to take a nap so I went for it. I'm so glad I did, too. It sure was nice!

The rest of the day, I was afraid to get started on any projects because I figured that just about the time I did, Larry would call to tell me that the van was ready & I would need to figure out who I could bum a ride from to go pick it up. I hate it when there are times like that because at the end of the day, I feel like I was just lazy all day & didn't accomplish anything.

We got to pick up the van last this evening. They got it fixed & it's fine now but it made for a very long day!

No comments: