Saturday, June 20, 2009

SUMMER DAY 22, Sat June 20

Warning: This is gonna be a picture-heavy post. If you're on dial-up internet or have a slow service, you may want to go make a sandwich, pour a drink, start a load of laundry & come back. :)

A few weeks ago, I asked Larry what he wanted for Father's Day. As per his usual ways, he said something like "nothing....I don't need anything". I had to point out that I didn't ask what he NEEDED, but what he'd LIKE to have...something he WANTED. Larry works so hard to take care of us, our home, our vehicles, our yard, etc....he deserves something just for him now & then. He thought for a while & came back with an answer.

Years ago, he took up a golfing hobby. He's got a mismatched set of clubs bought one at a time at garage sales & picked from friend's clubs who were "upgrading". He doesn't have official "golf clothes" and while he does have a pair of real golf shoes, he doesn't get to wear them but once or twice a year. He enjoys it none the less.

After nearly a decade of playing around with a golfing hobby & mentioning it numerous times, today he got his wish: a game of golf with me in the cart driving, watching him play his game. I've always wanted to go just to see what the fascination is. While I'm sure you'll likely never catch me on the course hitting ball after ball after ball myself, I really enjoyed going with him & driving him around the course...even if I did get fussed at by some old geezer when I drove across in front of him as he tried to hit. (oops!!! My bad!)

This morning, my mom picked up our kids about 10:00 & took them to her house for the day. Larry & I left by 10:30 and headed to a local course. We got our cart, loaded it up with clubs, a cooler of drinks (Gatorade, water, Dr. Pepper & Diet Coke) and my camera. Off we went. I was intrigued by all the things I saw & learned today. For example, this is a neat little book.

If you're a golf novice like me, this is a book attached to the dash of the golf cart that shows each hole, one page at a time, with all the fairways/greens/water & sand traps & whatever else you might need to know about that particular hole. I still don't completely understand what all those things are, but apparently it's very important information for the serious golfer.

These are Larry's clubs. If you really want to see waht all he has, click the picture to enlarge it. I can't tell a nine iron from a pitching wedge from a putter, but if you're into golf, you'll know what you're looking at. All I know is that you hit a ball with all of them & each one does a different sort of job. I asked if he had a little short plastic red one like they have at Putt-Putt. He didn't. Bummer.

This is the course where we were playing. Look at the sunshine & blue sky! Aside from the fact that it was hotter than all get out (think 95+ degrees), it was a gorgeous day. I kept cool in the cart while my sweetie sweated bullets (it's a tongue twister...try saying that 3 times fast). He doesn't mind sweating though, so it wasn't a big deal.



As you can see, sitting on a vinyl seat in the cart only makes one part of your body sweat. ha ha!!!! (and trust me, you don't want to click on this one to make it any larger!)


Here are a few random shots of my sweetheart playing golf.




Today, I learned that THIS is what you're aiming for.....


........and this is what you're trying to avoid!

As we finished out the day, Larry expressed his pleasure in this way:


At the end of the day, we were both hot & sweaty & stinky, but happy that we got to do this together! I love you baby! Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Michelle ~ said...

tooooooooooo tooooooooo cute and looks like a blast!!!