Friday, August 29, 2008

The first week

The first week of school is drawing to an end today.  With each passing day that horrible afternoon traffic has gotten slightly better.  I've adjusted my schedule each day to try to make it work so that I have to wait in a parked car in the middle of the road (read: LONG LINE!) for the least amount of time.  It's gone like this:

Monday-- Got in line at 2:45.  Long line was backed up approximately 1/2 mile outside of the school property.  Police officer suggested that it might be better to park & walk across the highway to get them.  While this went against the school policies, I got sick of waiting & did just that.  It was 3:40 when I got to Savannah's school.  (They get out at 3:00!)

Tuesday-- Waited until 2:45 to leave the house in hopes that the line of cars would be moving by then.  Nope.  I sat in the line from 2:45 til 3:30 before I got Samuel & Sarah....and then still had to make it to Savannah's school.  It was about 3:40 when I picked her up.  At least she knows it'll be a while & is good about sitting down to read a book while she waits.

Wednesday-- Decided to tweak it a little more & didn't leave the house til 2:50.  Nope.  Still no good.  I did get Samuel & Sarah picked up slightly earlier.  After all, it was only 3:20 when I got to them that day.  :::sigh:::  We were all back at home by 3:40.  That's progress right?

Thursday--  Yesterday I gave up & went back to my regular school year routine.  Didn't leave the house til 3:00.  By the time I made the 2 minute drive to their school, the line was moving.  I never had to put the car in park & just sit.  It kept moving from the moment I got in line til 3:15 when I got to the kids!  Hooray!  Much better.  (Still too slow, but better!)  I picked up Savannah at 3:27 & she said " were quick today!".  Poor baby!  She thinks 1/2 an hour is "quick".  Oh well, it gets a little better each day.

We are struggling with the morning thing though.  For years now, her tardy bell has rung at 8:05.  So on the days when we're really pushing everyone out the door to get to school on time, we knew that if she made it by 8:00 we were OK.  Even 8:02!  ha!  This year, at the junior high, things are different.  The first bell rings at 7:50 and the tardy bell rings at 7:57.  I realize that it's not a huge difference in time, but it sure changes the time we need to leave the house!  And since they get tougher on tardies as the kids get older, it only takes about 2 tardies for them to get a detention!  Yikes!  Mama & Daddy have to boogy in the morning!  (& try to inspire much boogying in all of their offspring!)

Today I am off.  After 2 days of inservice to get my room ready (see post below for pictures!) and 2 days of meeting parents, I'm ready for my 4 day weekend.  The school will reopen on Tuesday for our first day of school (after Labor Day).  I'm excited about getting started & seeing how my classes go!!

Have a good weekend & enjoy your Labor Day!


No comments: