Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer: Day 15


Wednesday June 15

This morning, Sarah & I took Savannah and Samuel to the park where they've been serving this week in a VBS sort of program. We watched as little children filled the playground, trickling in one or two at a time, no parents or adults in sight. It was shocking & heartbreaking to see little bitty kids show up at the park on the "wrong side of town" without supervision. I guess we all know this happens, but seeing it in person is a little overwhelming. I'm so proud of the kids in our church youth group going there to serve in this capacity all week.

After we left the park, we went to visit a friend who had a baby yesterday. I am so very blessed to have so many ex-students' parents for friends. I have always made it a point to communicate well with my (preschool) kids' parents throughout the year. Often, by the time the year is over, I feel like we are far more than just a teacher/parent. The lady who had the baby yesterday is one of those parents. Such a treat to have her in my life! Congratulations Stephen & Ana on that sweet little boy! He is beautiful.

When Sarah & I left the hospital, we went to the grocery store to pick up a few things they have on sale this week. We came home afterwards & just hung out the rest of the day.

Tonight I got to sit & visit with the other 2 ladies I teach the 4 & 5 year old Sunday School class with every week. Rachel & I have been partnered for a couple of years now, but this year, we 'inherited' a very large group of kids, so the teen girl who had been working with them in the 3 yr old classroom moved up with them. And boy are we glad she did! Madeline spent her senior year of high school working with us and a very crowded class full of pre-k kiddos every Sunday morning. What an honor to work with such a mature & talented young lady! We took her out for a special graduation dinner tonight & had some fun girl time at a new local restaurant. She's going to start college this Fall and we are so proud of her! Thank you for being our 3rd set of hands this year, Madeline!

My days may not always be thrilling, but that's my Wednesday for ya!

No comments: