Monday, September 22, 2008

What a great day!

Every day, on my way to work, I pray for my students, for the day ahead, for my reactions to their behaviors, etc.  It really helps me walk into the classroom with the right mindset and sets the tone for a good day.  Not to mention that it gives me a way to see God working through me in a secular classroom.

Today, I was singing to the radio & praying about other things when I realized that I was less than a mile from work....and I hadn't had a chance to pray for my day & the kids yet!  Yikes!  At that point, my prayer was very short & sweet, almost an after-thought sort of thing.  It went something like this.

"God, I'm sorry that I don't have time to pray for each of my students individually today, but you know them by name & know what's going on in their homes today.  Please give me a smooth, easy day with them."

WELL......soon after I walked in, I was told that one of the other teachers was absent today & they had not been able to reach a sub for her.  Because of this, I would be 'inheriting' 3 of her students.  It's always difficult when you have someone else's students for the day because they're not used to how your classroom works, what the rules are, etc.  And since I don't know their personalities, it can make for a difficult day behavior-wise as well.  I was not looking forward to spending the day with 3 extra kids.  The kids arrived, we did an arrival activity & began to eat a snack when (surprise!) the sub arrived!  She came to my room & took the extra kids back to their regular classroom.  That's when it hit me.

I only had THREE kids left!  3!  Just t-h-r-e-e!  Hooray!!!  Talk about an easy day!  When I am prepared to have 8 each day, ending up with just THREE is much calmer, much easier, much smoother!

I had never expected God to answer my prayer in that way.  Thank you, Lord!

No comments: