Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane pics

This morning as the hurricane began to blow through, I went out & took these pictures. 

This is the windsock that Sarah made earlier this summer at daycamp.  It's made of craft foam (stapled together) with ribbons tied onto the bottom.  I figure if it stays together & doesn't get torn apart in the wind, we're probably OK.

We were kind of laughing at the idea of this storm doing much damage.  I mean, we're 8 hours inland & we figured that it would lose its strength by the time it got to us.  A couple hours into the storm, this was all the "massive wind damage" we had.  One little piece of a branch in the yard.  Woop-tee-doo!

 

And for the most part, we were right, but we did get a little bit of trouble from it.  Several hours into it, I was walking around the yard with my camera & umbrella to see what I could see.  I found this.  Yikes!  When did that happen?  We didn't even hear it!  That's our fence under there!!

Thankfully, it didn't do much damage.  The 2 caps on the top of those posts were popped off & broken, but once we cut the branch off the fence, everything was fine.  My dad told me I ought to apply for FEMA help to replace those caps.  (snicker, snicker)  We'll have to clean this up later, but for not, it's off the fence.

As the storm as gone on, we've got more debris out in the street in front of us.  But still, there is nothing real major going on.  Just a lot of wind & some moderate rainfall.

I took a bit of video to show the wind whipping around earlier.  I could email it but for some reason, AOL won't let me post it here.  Let me know if ya want to see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad everything is safe in your neighborhood..  I can't believe how much damage the beginning of the hurricane did BEFORE the eye even hit land....

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz!
I wondered if you guys were affected by the storm or not! That's actually pretty amazing that you're 8 hours inland & still had that much wind! Wow!!!
I'm glad you guys are okay and you'd better get that claim into FEMA ASAP! LOL!
Love, Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness you are ok. Hurrianes are scary. It's been a long time since Nj has been hit hard, but I hate when they come our way because I live on the shore. UGH