Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer 08--day 32

This morning, my big (almost) 7th grader left for youth camp.  That's pretty scary.  I remember youth camp at Timberline in Lindale, TX.  It was a TON of fun, but it was also a week to meet boys, have fun, look for new boys, eat good camp food & search for yet more cute boys.  Clearly my spiritual scope was focused right where it needed to be, huh?  Seriously, I know that I don't have to fear that sort of camp week for Savannah but it still makes me a little nervous because there may very well be boys & girls there who DO plan to have that sort of week.  Luckily, this is only a middle schoolers camp, so that does help a little.

She called tonight about 8:40 on her girlfriend's cell phone.  She just wanted to check in & be reminded what to buy while she's there.  (We sent her with some money & some specific instructions about what she's supposed to get in addition to snacks & drinks throughout the week.  She'd already forgotten.)  She said they'd already had chapel for the first night & that she had really enjoyed her day.  I'm so glad!!  You know, as moms we always worry that our babies will go somewhere like this & then hate it & be "stuck" there, miserable (and probably making everyone else miserable in the process!).

If you'd like to see the website for the camp she's at, email me.  I don't plan to post it here until after she's home for safety's sake.

Samuel & Sarah enjoyed day 2 of day camp.  Since their camp gets out at 3:00, I was able to work in a couple of errands between work & picking them up.  My class left at 1:00 & I did as best I could to stretch my time at work afterward (cleaning up, prepping for Thursday, etc) but in the end, I was still totally done & ready to leave by about 2:00.  I went to get gas (ouch) and then ran through the Walgreen's drive thru to pick up a Rx before I gave up & went to the church at 2:30.  It was still 30 minutes til time for them to be done, but I figured I could sit inside in their air conditioning for a few minutes.  It was nice to get to watch them on the video monitor during the closing ceremony for the day.  They're having a blast!

After I picked them up, it was on with more errands!  We had to go to the grocery store to pick up dog food & some garlic breadsticks for supper.  It was super hot & they were tired & thirsty, so I swung through Sonic for some half-priced drinks.  It's so funny to hear our orders there since they offer all the flavorings to put in your drinks!  Today, I ordered a small orange slush (Sarah), a small watermelon Sprite (Samuel) & a medium vanilla Dr. Pepper (me).  Yum!  We then headed to CVS to pick up the pictures that Savannah took at her friends' house last week.  Of course, the majority of the pictures are of her stuffed animals or half of someone's face or the doorknob to their bedroom...oy!  The joys of kids taking disposable cameras with them on a trip!  ha ha!

It was nearly 4:00 before we finally got home from running around doing our errands, so the kids vegged out in front of the TV for a few minutes before starting their chores.  Then it was suppertime, then showers & bedtime.

WooHoo!  It was real wild & crazy around here today, I tell ya.  And tomorrow can only be better.  I'll be alone all day!  Yahoo!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


 You know, I don't think it is possible for a man who is gone all day to figure out just how great a day all alone can be when you have small children and a million things to do.  It is amusing to hear them ask, "What did you do all day?" and look like they have no idea you did anything.  I know you will enjoy tomorrow.  
   I'm happy to hear that Nana is having a good time. I was concerned too.
                                                        Mom