Monday, October 27, 2008

myspace vs. facebook

Shortly after Larry went into full time ministry at our church, a couple of the staff & their wives created myspace accounts primarily to check on some of the youth kids' sites. We were concerned about the content of their websites. I wasn't sure who these kids were since I was still new to the church, but I was trying to be a helpful pastor's wife, so I did my duty--checked out their pages & then forgot all about the account I had created. Fast forward about a year. One of the ladies in the singles group (Larry was the singles pastor at the time) emailed me & encouraged me to add to my myspace profile. She was getting into myspace & thought it would be fun for me. I went back & added a picture, changed the background color and that was about it. I was on dial up at the time & it was soooo slow that I didn't want to mess with doing much else. But I did enjoy playing around with myspace. I located & reconnected with some old friends from high school and from places we've lived over the years. Over the next 2 years, I became quite fond of myspace, posting pictures & cross-posting some of my blog entries there.

Earlier this year, we had some computer trouble that all seemed to stem from myspace. I brushed it off & prayed that wasn't the case because I was really enjoying myspace. But by late summer when the computer crashed, I was pretty sure I knew what had happened. Eleven viruses were removed from the computer. Yuck. Thankfully the computer guy we had fix it was able to restore everything & we didn't lose anything. After getting the computer back, I tried to access myspace & immediately, I started having the SAME issues we'd had before. Ugh. And so....I very sadly gave up myspace. And wouldn't ya know it? The problems we had w/ the computer IMMEDIATELY stopped when I quit visiting myspace. Everything has run perfectly ever since! I don't know if it was virus stuff or spyware or what, but whatever the case, our computer & myspace aren't compatible.

When I left myspace, I knew that I'd switch over to facebook. From what I can see, it's the "grown up" version of myspace. You can still post pictures & do many of the same things you can do on myspace, but in a more streamlined way without so much glitter & neon pink flashing lights. ha!

Social networking sites aren't for everyone, but I really enjoy it. If you have a facebook page & we haven't connected there yet, look me up!

5 comments:

SandyL said...

I like them both...although my daughters boyfriend complains that My Space takes forever on his dial up too.. I have Cable..so that isn't an issue.. I won't switch because I have certain people on facebook and certain ones on myspace...

I too started there to make sure my kids MySpaces were okay

Jamey said...

yep i have both, but I use facebook daily.But i have certain frinds on my space. yes so right about the glitter of my space.it is the spyware on the PC, My huby fixes computers and has to clean up my mess allot!

Windy Smith said...

Liz, I love reading your stories! You are much better about keeping your posts up to date than I am but you should click on my name and check out my blog. I have recently posted a few new stories and pictures!

Mel said...

I sure do love facebook =]

It really is a 'grown up' myspace. I like it a lot better!

Anti-Supermom said...

My husband is on facebook, so I use his account to look up (umm, spy) on people :)

It appears that you are in the early stages of Facebook, meaning not on it for several hours a day leaving notes on other people's wall...

Good for you!