Monday, October 13, 2008

PTO

At the end of last (school) year, a PTO planning meeting was called for my kids' elementary school. I have always joined PTO but I have never gotten involved (i.e. going to the PTO meetings, joining the board, etc). I wanted to help my kids' classes get a pizza party or whatever the prize is for having the most parents join PTA/PTO, but that's as far as I've ever gone. In the past few years, I've been a room mom for the kids' classes & have enjoyed that, but it's mostly just a matter of organizing who will bring what to a party & sending home a note to remind them.

So back to that planning meeting. It fell on a day I was off work. I don't remember what the occasion or holiday was, but my school was out. So I went. There were 6 of us there. They were filling positions that day. Yes, you guessed it....I left there with a job that day. Actually, it was the only one that I felt competant to do, so I pounced on it before someone else took it & left me with being vice president or something!

What did I sign up for you ask? Room Representative Chairman.
What did I sign up for you ask? ha ha! It's the room mom coordinator for our campus.

The first week of school, I emailed all the teachers & introduced myself & asked them to let me know who they would be having for their room mom this year. I heard back from about 5 of the 36 teachers. :::sigh:::

The second week of school, I put a note in the boxes of all the teachers I had not heard from, against asking for a room mom name & contact info. I gave them a deadline of a couple weeks. At the end of that timeframe, I still had about 10-11 teachers who had not responded. :::beats head against wall:::

I sent a 2nd email to all those remaining teachers. No reply.

I gave up on some of the teachers & just hoped that they'd send SOMEONE to the meeting I called today.

I stood up in front of all these moms & went through a little folder of paperwork & info I had made for them. It had all the forms and letters they'd need for the year. I read them all, explained everything, answered questions and oh yeah....I wiped sweat from my face & fanned myself throughout. Good grief........clearly, I am made to work with children & not adults.

I walked the hallways & handed out folders to all the teachers whose room mom didn't show up today. Some gave me some funny looks when I walked in & said "could you send this home with the child of your room mom?". Clearly they were still ticked about the emails & notes in their box. :)

As I drove home, I realized two or three things that I don't believe I covered. Oh well. I guess I did my best & my job is done. Now I can relax & just be a room mom and a regular parent again. I'm still part of the PTO board, but my "job" for the year is finished. Whew!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh...don't you just love how people get back to you....drives me nuts at my work....

Jamey said...

well I am on my 3rd year of being the PTO vice president, and your story sounds all too familiar to me! doesn't matter where you are the PTO is the same. Thanks for helping your school it makes a difference!

Liz said...

Oh yeah...don't get me wrong. I could've said NO to all the jobs & just walked away. I know my work made a difference....but I'm so glad it's done. :)