Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Another "interesting" Samuel story

Last night, we had another interesting/funny thing happen with Samuel. I'll just copy the email I sent to his best buddy's mom.
Just wanted to give you a heads up so you & your hubby won't have a
heart attack like we did tonight. (I'm copying this to Mrs. T--- because I
figured she'd get a kick out of it too...after the shock wears
off.)

The girls & I were eating supper and Larry was in our
bathroom. Samuel went to the bathroom door & asked Larry "Is smoking
weed bad?" Larry said yes. Samuel said "well...I was smoking weed at
school today. I didn't know it was bad." Larry said he very quickly
finished what he was doing in the bathroom & came running out to ask Samuel
who he was smoking weed with. Samuel told him several boys had done
it, so he joined them. As the panic set in, Larry realized it would be
best to ask a few questions.

Larry asked where he got the "weed"
& what he did with it. Samuel said "you know those things that we have
in the yard when you haven't mowed...they come up & then look like this on
the end (he made a #2 with his fingers)? Well, we pulled them up & put
them in our mouths."

(at this point, Larry said he realized that
Samuel was talking about a weed, not "weed"....but he continued & asked
some more questions)

Larry asked "did you light the weed on
fire?"

Samuel acted completely dumbfounded & said
NO!

He asked him "so what did you do with the weed when you were
done?"

Samuel said "I spit it out because it tasted
bad!".

Larry used this as a teachable moment & explained that
Samuel had not "smoked weed" but "sucked on a piece of grass". I guess
someone must have a big brother/sister who's used the term "smoking weed" &
they repeated it on the playground. :::sigh::: Thank goodness this
was not a case of REAL "weed" being introduced to 3rd graders. And during
RED RIBBON WEEK, no less!!!! ha ha!

His teacher wrote back & said she felt sure that this came out of his mouth because they watched a video about drugs in school yesterday. She & the school counselor got a kick out of this. Don't ya just love the innocence of it all?!

5 comments:

Jamey said...

I wish they could stay that innocent for a long time. That is an adorable story. It is red ribbon week here too!

Lisa said...

Wow, that was a stressful conversation for Larry, huh? Abby has asked me a couple of questions on that level, too. Fun times!

SandyL said...

Oh my goodness Thank the Lord it was just Grass... I am sure you gave him a lecture that we don't smoke "weed"...lol

Amanda said...

LOL...hilarious! I'm sure he did scare you half to death at first though!!!

terri said...

That is GREAT. I love Samuel. :)