Friday, August 19, 2011

Five Question Friday

1. Do you close the bathroom door when you are home alone?
The way our bathroom is layed out, you kind of have to shut the door to get to the toilet. So yes, but not because I'm hiding from someone.

2. You have to walk around with a word on your forehead. That word describes you. One word. What is it?
Something silly to make people laugh. I mean, if I'm stuck with a word on my forehead for the rest of my life, it might as well be one that makes people smile. Maybe just the word SMILE so that people will see it & grin.

3. What store do you refuse to shop at and why?
Larry & I have sort of had a vendetta for Sears for years now. In 1999, we filed bankruptcy. I had a Sears credit card at the time that I'd used to buy my maternity clothes while I was pregnant with Samuel. We had a $0 balance at the time of the bankruptcy, so our attorney told us to just put the card up somewhere & hold onto it. After the bankruptcy was over, we could use that card to rebuild our credit, buying things & paying them off so show that we were capable of managing debt....that sort of thing. So we did just that.

Several months after the bankruptcy was finalized, Larry was in a college class that required the use of a computer with a CD drive. Our very old computer did not have one & it was on its last leg anyway, so we pulled out the ol' Sears card & made a trip to the store to purchase a computer with a CD drive to use for Larry's class. We spent at least an hour browsing different models & types, having the nice salesman help us pick out components that we would use, chatting with him about the baby I was due with 'any day now'. We finally made it up to the checkout line with 2-3 people waiting behind us. When the cashier checked us out & we handed over our credit card, it was denied. She dialed a phone next to her cash register & handed us the receiver. She had dialed the credit card people to find out why the card was denied. They told us that they had cancelled our card. When we asked WHY, they said "because you filed bankruptcy". Despite the fact that we did not file on THEM and they were not out any money because of our bankruptcy, they made the decision to cancel our card & never tell us. We questioned why we were not informed when they cancelled the card & they said that it's in the fine print on the application---that if you ever file bankruptcy they will close your account. And that's that.

So there we stood, completely humiliated, in front of all these people who were waiting in line and the poor salesman who had spent an hour with us.

We walked out of the store that day & swore we'd never shop there again!

It's been over 10 years now & we've only darkened their doors about 2 times since that day. We used to shop there on a more regular basis but they lost our confidence in them that day. Now days we only go there if it's a last resort and we can't find a product ANYWHERE else. We'd rather pay a few dollars more than to shop at Sears.

4. If you participated in arranged marriages for your child(ren), who would you choose for your child(ren)?
Well I certainly don't participate in this, but a few of my friends & I have joked for years about setting our children up.

5. If you could pick how and when you would die, would you?
If I could choose, I would be really old & still in great health. I would go to bed one night & die in my sleep....no pain, no suffering. Here one minute, in the arms of God the next.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow that was awful of Sears to do that to you! I like the answer to the last question I feel the same way!