Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cover Girl liquid make up (foundation)


For many years, probably since I turned 13 or 14 & began wearing make up, I've worn Cover Girl's clean make up liquid base/foundation. And I've always worn the "classic ivory" shade. It works well for me. It gives good coverage, matches my skin tone, has the right texture & the right finish for me.

In my early 20s I realized that I really didn't need foundation all the time because my skin was clear enough that I didn't really have anything to cover or even out. I just applied concealer and powder and then my other regular make up items.

I think it took me about 10 years to reach a point of feeling like my make up never looked right. Like maybe it didn't cover as well as it used to. Or my skin just didn't look as pretty & smooth & soft as it used to. I'm not sure I could pinpoint what was wrong, but one day I pulled out my old (very, very old) trusty bottle of Cover Girl foundation & put it on with my make up. I'm not really sure what provoked me to try it again, but I found that I had "grown into" a need for foundation. It made the rest of my make up last longer through the day. It made my face look more polished and my skin more smooth. It evened out my skin tone and just seemed 'right'. Overnight, I realized that it was time for me to purchase a new bottle of foundation & wear it regularly. So I did.

But, ever the bargain hunter, I soon discovered a few other brands I wanted to try. Since I sell Avon, that was of course my very first option to try. I bought a bottle of their Healthy Make Up liquid foundation in the color that best matched my skin tone (ghostly pale white girl). I liked it. It seemed comparable to the Cover Girl product I'd used for years. But as Avon so often does, about the time I got used to the product, they discontinued the color I was using. So it was back to the drawing board.

I went to CVS and found a bottle of the new FIT product by Maybelline. I used their little color chart thing to find the right color for me & brought it home. From day 1, I was never very happy with the coverage -- it was sort of thin & watery so I felt like it hit my skin & soaked in, not really covering anything. And despite matching my wrist to their little color chart in the store, I felt like I was painting on pure white paint every time I wore it. It just didn't work.

I went back to the Avon bottle & have been beating the bottle's bottom for a week or so now, trying to get the last few drops out of the bottle. Knowing that it would soon be gone I knew I had to do something to replace it.

To my surprise when I went to CVS this morning, my ExtraCare card held my latest ExtraBucks when I printed my coupons at the coupon printer in the front of the store. I had earned nearly $8 in ExtraBucks. I knew exactly what I would spend it on! I marched myself directly to the Cover Girl aisle, located my Classic Ivory foundation & plopped it into my basket. Proud of myself for getting the foundation for free (after my ExtraBucks, it was free!), I finished my shopping & came home to try it out.

True to my memories, I smoothed the creamy foundation on and laughed at myself for not getting another bottle sooner. Why did I ever stray from the reliable product that worked so well for me?

I'm cheap. And something was on sale. Or I had a coupon. Or both. That's what it boils down to.

That's when it hit me. I'm brand loyal to a few other things. Why not make up? If I know it works (and works WELL), why not stick to what I know?

I took only moments to grab the other 2 bottles of liquid foundation from my make up box & toss them in the trash.

Never again, my sweet Cover Girl friend. I promise never to stray again.

*No, Cover Girl did not pay me to write this review. I just wanted to share my experience & hear from you. What items are you brand loyal to?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha same product same shade! Been using it all my life and my mother used it (in a darker shade) before me. Cover girl rocks! Avon makes me so mad with their discontinuing of products. Every time I fall in love with something they stop selling it. I am kind of on an Avon strike because of this behavior on their part! I used to order at least once a month but I have not placed an order in at least two months not that they care..but it feels good to me.

Darcy said...

Thanks for the product recommendation.

Lately, I feel like the compact (the powdery/creamy compact) just doesn't cover or last very long anymore. My Mom suggested I try something new. But with the cost of make up, I didn't even know where to start. LOL.

Now I'll add this to my list and try this out and see if it works as good for me as it did for you!

Unknown said...

Ever so very true about the cover girl foundation. :) I should return to my first love too....

Brand loyalty: Palmolive dishsoap and Venus razors. I can try to stray ---- but I am never happy and I always return.

Palmolive - lasts forever, always does its job, and it makes a GREAT pre-soak for food-stains on clothing.

Venus - minimal, if any, cuts. Smooth finish. No bumps or burn.