Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer: Day 38

Friday July 8

This morning our precious puppy dog, the 5 1/2 year old Basset Hound, went to the doggy day spa. Or at least that's what we like to call it.

You see our angel dog who is a pure delight 24/7 has a little Jekyl/Hyde thing that happens when she is bathed, when she gets a shot...or pretty much any time you try to hold her still to do anything to her. The calm, even tempered, loving, cuddly & gentle dog starts twisting her head trying to get loose from her collar, squirming a little at first, then violently thrashing. And if you don't "notice" the violent spasms of her body trying anxiously to escape your grasp, the howling, barking, growling and nipping at your hands..... well, you'll probably notice that. We tried to bathe her ourselves the first time and quickly decided to let the professionals handle from then on!

On her first trip to our vet's office for a bath & nail trim, they discovered our angel's other personality as well. Upon arriving to pick her up from her day at the "spa", they suggested that maybe next time we ought to consider allowing them to sedate her. So ever since, we have. We joke that she gets to go in, take a nap, and wake up with a mani/pedi, clean fur and a hangover. The last time we did this was back in February during one of our snow days. When we brought her home that evening, we had her inside with us and she was SO FUNNY to watch. Our sweet dog was obviously very DRUNK from the leftover anesthesia in her system. It was hilarious to watch her behavior. This time, however, she was able to go out to her cozy dog house and sleep off the drugs. So glad to have a clean doggie with short nails tonight! Oh, how she needed it!

After we dropped off Daisy at the vet's office, the kids & I went grocery shopping. We were able to return home, eat lunch & hang out for a little while before we picked Daisy up from the vet's office. She was happy to come home! She is always ready to run for the hills when they hand me the leash in the office lobby. She runs to the door, presses her nose to it & stands on "point" refusing to move til I open the door. ha ha!

And then there was tonight. I've been anticipating this event for several months!

If you've ever been to a Women of Faith conference, you know Sheila Walsh. Sheila is a beautiful woman (inside & out) who loves Jesus and speaks so eloquently about all He's done in her life. (in her most charming & cute little Scottish accent!) Several months ago, a local friend who works for a church in town posted on Facebook that he was going to bring a "big name women's speaker" to town for a one night event at his church. About 2 entries later on his Facebook wall, it says "(man's name) is now friends with Sheila Walsh". It took about 2 seconds for me to put 2 & 2 together & send him a message asking if it was Sheila who was he was planning to have come! And if so, what did I need to do to get a front row seat!! I was "IN" immediately! So ever since that day, I've been excited....and tonight from my FRONT ROW seat, literally front & center, maybe 10 ft from Sheila.....I got to hear her speak. I was not disappointed. She has such a knack for laying out the word of God, making you laugh & cry within 2 minutes of each other, and drawing you in. Amazing! Such a great night. And I'm excited now because she's coming back to town in a few months to do an all-day conference!! Yahoo!

See? Told you I was CLOSE!

And it was even better because I was sitting next to one of my best friends! Love ya Tara! (oh, and don't mind me....it was 110 degrees outside & there were about 1 million women in the church auditorium, so it took a few minutes for the a/c & my naturally high body temperature to even out....thus the sweaty bangs attached to my forehead. Nice, huh?)

Time for me to catch up on my blog reading & hit the sack. God bless!

No comments: